Tuesday, July 28, 2009

[New Music] Sharon Van Etten (and where I fawn over Hey Rosetta)

Last night, I went to the best show ever (well, at least until the next awesome show rolls around) at the Mercury Lounge.

I will admit, I wasn't actually there for the main act -> Josh Mease. I'm sure he was great, but Michelle and I had to ditch prior to his taking the stage.

I was there in my capacity as an Hey Rosetta! addict.

Things I intrinsically know about Hey Rosetta!: (1) they are, as my conspirator in cataloging would say, "full of Win," (2) they are Canadian, from Newfoundland, (3) 2008's Into Your Lungs (and around in your heart and on through your blood) is seriously one of the tightest, lyrically awesome and best albums ever made, (4) their live show absolutely rocks, and (5) apparently boys grown in Canada are statistically hotter than anything American made (I am currently researching the veracity of this statement - more research required, however).

Seriously, go out and buy this album. Go see them live. Rock out with your iPod on the train in the wee hours of the morning or with the window down in rush hour traffic. You should trust me 'cause the only thing that I ever learned is when trusting a stranger your trust will be returned ('New Goodbye').

But the main thrust of this entry is Sharon Van Etten - who took the stage just before Hey Rosetta!. Oh my very goodness - she had me from the first lilting arch of her amazing, amazing voice. Of course, then she jumped into my head and pulled out the lyrics (admittedly more concise and better scribed): You're the reason I'll move to the city, or why I'll need to leave ('Give Out').



I bought Because I was in Love (2009) and have it in heavy rotation... along with Hey Rosetta! Apparently, I frightened several very conservative passerbys in my 'Hood last night as I walked home from the F singing 'Black Heart' at the top of my lungs.

Not everyone is as comfortable with my spectacular dorkiness as I am.

As an aside, very weirdly for New York, I actually saw one of my interviewers for a position in the City I unsuccessfully applied for yesterday. Do you know how random that is in this large city? Although I'm beginning to believe that the Chinatown area (I'm sure it has an official name, I just don't know it) is where everyone I ever met in NY exists when I'm there. Creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment