Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chinese New Year's Resolutions*

*Understandably a bit early, but I'm being proactive here!

As my official resolution deadline doesn’t approach until the apocalypse… er… Valentine’s Day, I thought I would start to sort out what exactly I was being so resolute in doing in 2010.

Apparently 2010 is the year of the Tiger. A year whose mantra is “I win” and signified by the colors green and purple. It seems to share, at least topically, a strong correlation with the 1980s. Or a Gil Scott Heron song-poem. Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren’t zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous “B” movie.


Last year was a very good one for resolutions. I laughed a lot, listened to more music than I thought possible, walked off six dress sizes, cut out lots of life baggage (and in the process turned down the knob on my crazy loyalty focus, some people are just not worth it) and realized I could live without just about everything. I want to build on the year of the Ox in ways both subtle and audacious.

I have preemptively started on some things. I haven’t had any soda since December 31. I have also, through straight happenstance, not had any tea since then. The side effects of no caffeine have been interesting - from general edginess to a moment of complete insanity Frank had to talk me out of yesterday. I seriously don't know what I would do without Frank's guidance and general Machiavellian outlook on life.

I also only use the stairs whenever there is the option – avoiding escalators and elevators. The only escalator I cheat with is the one at WTC coming off the Path. While I’m sure I could take the 200 steps, the thought of my lungs after the experience is entirely another matter. In short, I am a stair pansy!

Here is the short-list:

(1) Go to more concerts; even if I have to go by myself (and I know I will), I WILL go to at least 1/month. I will buy concert t-shirts for local bands and get more random lyrics stuck in my head.

(2) Less RPGs and more non-RPG stuff

(3) Climb the stairs at the WTC Path station without getting out of breath

(4) Learn enough Spanish to talk to the cleaning lady; right now I am perusing Spanish for Nurses… and since the only terminology I’m learning relates to private bodily functions, less understanding is better

(5) Meet more people.

(6) More kisses. I suddenly realized that kissing doesn’t suck, so this may fall in with #5.

(7) Actually finish my Xmas baking for 2009 by July 2010. I owe so many cookies! Fuck!

(8) Want to have a beer with Jen – on me! My outstanding promise since after VAST this past Spring is downright scandalous.

(9) Try to remember more holidays. Hell, more things in general.

(10) Write more stuff. And back it up in four to six places.

(11) Bake more. Including KaiBot3000, if she doesn't stop eating plastic.

(12) Hang out with Aiden & Madelyn at LEAST once this year

Wow, my short-list is getting out of hand. So there's no room for achieving world peace and being nice to my sister... Oh, I nearly forgot (and most importantly):

(13) Collect my Dad's Dove and learn how to play guitar



No comments:

Post a Comment