Tuesday, June 2, 2009

[Mixes] Werewolves & Convicts

I like to make music mixes.

Finding corollaries between songs is something I seem to do automatically- perhaps the downfall of having an indexing mind - and recently I've been working on a couple of interesting ones (to me).

Firstly: Werewolves

This would seem like a strange theme for mixes, and the tenor of what I'm working towards is always in the back of my mind (folksy, lyric intensive and earthy). Luckily, I ran across this song (from Secret and Whisper - who I LOVE) yesterday to add to the mix:



I also have Blitzen Trapper's Furr, which is a beautiful song -->



And Richard Shindell's version of Dar Williams' Calling the Moon. Richard Shindell has such a wonderful voice.

Secondly: Convicts

The second mix only has two songs, thus far (maybe three, if I decide on Blanche's version of Running with the Devil):

Johnny Cash's version of Nick Cave's Mercy Seat (it might be sacrilegious for me to prefer Cash's version, since I adore Nick Cave, but it's true. Especially his delivery on the lines, "And anyway I told the truth, but I'm afraid I told a lie" in relation to his not being afraid to die) -->



And Blitzen Trapper's (yes, one of my current music obsessions) Black River Killer. I'm sure my fellow passengers on MTA transit are probably less inclined to sit by me when I'm mouthing:

So you make no mistake
I know just what it takes
To pull a man’s soul back from heaven’s gates
I’ve been wandering in the dark about as long as sin
But they say it’s never too late to start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment